Sunday, September 9, 2012

'SUP, yo!

A few years ago I started practicing yoga. What happened to me both on and off the mat is best described as a transformation. This transformation actually began a few years prior with events that lead to me beginning my recovery from alcoholism and yoga is the next phase of this journey. Yoga has helped me learn to meditate, live in the present moment, lose weight and stay in shape. I learn acceptance for others as well as myself through yoga. I learn to "let go of the idea of right and wrong" through yoga. Along with the 12 steps, yoga helps me stay spiritually fit and grounded. Well at least it helps me TRY to stay that way.  In fact, I love that its called a yoga practice, because that is exactly what I do- practice yoga. I don't perfect yoga or totally screw-up yoga, I practice it.

I met a group of terrific women in my yoga classes and we formed a nice bond. There is no competition between us; we encourage each other and complement one another when we see fit to do so. It's lovely, actually and reminds me very much of my women friends in my recovery circle. These women emailed last month and asked me to join them doing stand up paddle board (SUP) yoga. WHAT, you ask?? I'm going to stand up on a surf board like thingie in a river, keep my BALANCE, and then try to do yoga!? Are ya crazy, or just plain stupid? 

So, I said yes! Saying yes in and of itself is sort of a miracle because as I previously mentioned, I like to be good at something from the get-go. I intuitively knew I would not be good at this from the start but if I want any kind of growth in my life I have to try, right?

The date for the SUP yoga was approaching and the weather had to be just right. Yesterday we had a real hum-dinger of a storm here and I thought for sure it would be cancelled. I sort of prayed it would be cancelled, actually. No such luck! This morning I woke up to one of the most beautiful days I've seen in awhile. The humidity is low and the sky is bright blue, sunny, with the puffy white clouds, and the temperature about 72. PERFECT weather, really just perfect. I drove over to meet the ladies and was greeted with this view.


Not too shabby, huh?

We got our paddle boards in the water and the instructor began by showing me how to stand up from a kneeling position. I was wobbly, but I did it. Before long, I was doing yoga on this board while slowly drifting around the cove in which we were practicing. We laughed, wobbled, and bumped into one another but we didn't fall off!  Forward bends, downward dog, lunges, and even twists- I did it. A whole sun salutation on the board, done! Savasana laying down on a floating surface was great too. The whole thing was amazing and I surprised myself with what I was able to do. I couldn't help but think that I almost said no to this experience out of fear. Now I can't wait to do it again.

The only thing we have to fear is fear itself. 
Namaste.


8 comments:

  1. I admire your courage and honesty. I have 2 family members who have been 12 steppin' (successfully). One for 8 years, the other for 20. For me it's been Al-anon. It's a spiritual practice and yoga helps tremendously. Keep going Amy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a gorgeous view! I've never heard of SUP yoga, but it sounds like it would be fun to try. Congratulations on your recovery. Nice post, Amy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do just that, Miss Rach! You would be so much fun in this class!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good for you on taking a chance... looks like it was a beautiful day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds nice and peaceful. Peace is underrated. Maybe I should try yoga. If I do, I'll try on land before water, methinks.

    Way to try new things, Aim.

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVE yoga ~ and you rock for having the 'nads to get on that board...I'd probably only have the balance to do savasana ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think this sounds AMAZING!!! I wish I lived near water so I could do it too! So jealous.

    ReplyDelete