So what my teacher and I discussed is her concept not of resolutions, but of evolutions! Brilliant, I say! This life I get to have is a journey, right? An evolutionary journey. We reflected on lessons learned in 2012 and also where we'd like to head in 2013. I've been thinking about this for a few days and decided I to review what I've learned in 2012. I should be journaling more meticulously so this would be easier to call forth, but as a dear friend and mentor often says to me, "Don't should on yourself." Journaling is going to be part of my 2013 evolution.
So, here are some things I learned in 2012, in no particular order.
1. I'm okay just the way I am.
2. I need to let you be free to be you.
3. Snapple Green Tea is really delicious and I'm happy that Snapple is cool again.
4. Everyone has some shit going on in their life at any moment.
5. Don't take everything so personally.
6. The Universe really will take care of things if I stay out of the way and do the next right thing.
7. The spicy dried mango from Trader Joe's tastes delicious when used in a marinade along with garlic, ginger, sesame oil, rice vinegar and soy sauce. Marinade some salmon in that and you will not be sorry.
8. It's none of my business what you think of me.
9. I'm allowed to have a bad day even though I have everything I could possibly need.
10. My mother is a treasure that I am so fortunate to have.
11. Building real friendships is fun, totally rewarding, and takes some work.
12. Fantasy Football is a lot of fun.
13. I need down time every day.
14. Eddie Bauer fleece is the warmest without being bulky.
15. I met a LOT of really cool people on Facebook this year and consider them friends even though I haven't met most of them in real life.
16. I can't stand the thought of my dog getting older.
17. Kayaking by the light of the full moon is magical.
18. After 5 years of sobriety, I'm getting used to not drinking alcohol at parties.
19. I am amazed at the change in my body from doing yoga regularly.
20. I need to better organize my garden.
21. Heated car seats rock.
22. Meditation and prayer are directly related to my outlook each day.
23. PMS after age 40 is a real mother f*cker.
24. Love and tolerance of others is not always easy but is an excellent mantra.
25. I enjoy a cup of tea in the evening.
26. I'm proud to be from New Jersey despite of what the rest of the country thinks of my home state.
27. I can wear shorts and be comfortable doing so.
28. Communication really is the key to a successful relationship and can be very difficult for me.
And so the evolution continues. Where do I want to be mentally, physically, and spiritually during the next year? What do I want to learn? What is working in my life? What's not working? How can I change that in a positive manner?
What about you? What did you learn this year? Where ya heading?
Do tell! Please share your ideas! We're on this road together, people. :)
I really want to focus on compassion and love for the next year. So if I see you, I might just give you a hug and tell you that I love you. Because I do. Very much.
Happy 2013, my friends!
|Chris and I in Jamaica.|
|Beautiful birthday flowers!|