Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Your Kids- and I Don't Mean Goats

I'm not a mom in the sense that I carried a baby in my uterus and gave birth to it. I guess it was a choice on my part, I just was never at the right place in my life to have children and then when I got there I was a little bit too old. For some reason, lately, this has been weighing on me. Maybe weighing is the wrong word. Lately it's been becoming more apparent to me? Lately it's been on my mind? Lately I oscillate between feelings of extreme gratitude that I'm not in charge of raising another human being and remorse for the same thing? I truly believe that there is a reason I don't have any children, that the universe has me placed exactly where I am supposed to be, but I still wonder about it- especially as I get older and wonder who will take care of me some day! Isn't that part of the reason we have children? So we can rely on them to help us in our old age? Trust me, I'm only half joking about that.

As you all know I have my dog, Sushi, and am most definitely a mom to her. I take care of her with all the love in my heart and tell her often about the first time I saw her and held her. I think people do that with their real children too, right? Anyway, Sushi is NOT going to be able to take care of me some day. First of all, she doesn't have thumbs- a necessity for care giving, secondly, I will most likely out-live her, and thirdly, she doesn't even have a job, therefore any money. Plus she sleeps a lot. I could fall and get hurt and she'd be snoozing away, oblivious!

However, I have these nephews, you see. Two amazing, kind, loving, funny, handsome, talented, athletic, artistic, smart and just plain fantastic human beings! They belong to my brother, Greg and his wife, Tammy, who are such great parents that I'm in awe watching them in action. When these boys were born, my brother and his wife made it perfectly clear that I was indeed part of this 'village' that exists to help raise these children. This message was also conveyed to my mother, sister, father, step-mother, and all of our extended family, actually.

I was fortunate, lucky, and honored to be present at the birth of my older nephew Austin. What an absolutely life-changing experience that was. Both my mother and I were the first to see his little face as it entered the world and took his first breath. I'm teary-eyed just writing this, as that moment has become more special to me through the years. I now watch this kid growing into such a good person and well-rounded soul who is a talented athlete and musician. He is, hands-down, one of the most clever and funny people I know, without being mean-spirited about it. He is cool without trying at all. When I see him now, at age 15, little moments of his life flash before me and it makes me smile. When he was little we spent a great deal of time together and  I called him my Stinky Monkey Boy- now I call him Stink, for short.

Austin getting the classic bath in the kitchen sink.


While I was not front and center for Anthony's birth, I held him just hours after he was born and can still remember looking at his perfect little face and whispering in his ear that he was the most beautiful thing I'd ever seen. It's true! Anthony is adorable and was truly one of the cutest babies ever born. People would stop us in public and say so, I swear! He is still so adorable, the spitting image of his father, a cuddle-bunny who will give me a kiss and a hug on demand ("Gimme a kiss, Ant!"). As a baby the poor little bugger had bad ears so he was almost constantly in pain and had to be held and rocked. It was the perfect opportunity to write and sing songs about him, one of which gave him the name Anftwon LaRue. Today we call him LaRue or LaRuesky. He's smart, also very funny, and quite a chef, an artist, an inventor and builder. He goes into the garage and invents, designs, and  builds things that work! He is a good boy and watching him grow up makes me all warm and fuzzy.

Anthony being the cutest baby in the world.


These boys are my boys. They are a huge part of my heart, soul and fabric. I was a hands-on part of their upbringing. I love them so much I can't stand it and when I see them I'm filled with joy. I love that they trust me, ask me questions, like to be with me, and love me back.

A few years ago, I posed a question to Austin, "Hey Stink- since I don't have any kids of my own, will you take care of me when I get old?"
His answer,"Sure, Aunt Aim."
Anthony chimed in an offer to take care of my sister, who also has no children of her own, so we're all set! I broke the news to them last weekend that I want this in writing, just to be sure.

I'm not sure where I'm going with this. I just kinda want to let the universe know that I'm here. Your kids? I'm looking out for them too. I'll do my best to be a good person and role model. I'll try to watch my cursing around them. I'll talk to them and play with them, and not in a creeper kind of way. I'll help them whenever I can. I'll share my experiences with them in an appropriate manner. I'll listen to them. 

It sounds like I'm trying to convince you that I'm a responsible adult, which for once in my life I am.

Your kids are also my kids. Except I don't want to babysit them.

The little monkeys.

Making friends at the airport in Jamaica.

LaRuesky and Aunt Amy

Stinky and Aunt Aim







12 comments:

  1. As a childless woman, I know exactly how feel, but I think you lucked out with these two. They do seem great. Really sweet post, Amy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful article. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Meems (that's my nickname for Amy): You are the coolest Aunt on the planet. I would give my brother's nuts to have an Aunt as cool as you, especially growing up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think your nephews are very fortunate to have you in their "village." Very sweet post, Amy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. They're cuties! I feel the same way about my nephew - he's 41 years old now and I still call him "Sweetie" <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful post, Amy. My kids totally got the shaft when it comes to aunts. Would you consider adopting them? They'll help take care of you and they are funny as hell. Think about it. I'll just wait here. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aw! You have some very lucky nephews ~ and you are MORE than welcome to borrow my child at any point in time! No, really, you are ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have nothing clever to say. I just loved that post. So sweet and genuine!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a beatiful tribute to our boys ... we are so blessed to have them in our lives! Gifts from heaven ... angel boys ... each of them unique and each tucked in our hearts ... I am so grateful for our family and how close we are ... they will take care of you and Tia and love every minutes of it just as the two of you have enjoyed taking care of them. As for me, don't have to worry about being old, I am old and when I need help I know it is there :) You still may be under the wire to change your mind and have a little one of your own for all of us to take care of, and it would be fun and challenging! One never knows! hee, hee, hee!

    ReplyDelete