Thursday, August 30, 2012

Tofu

Occasionally I feel like tofu. I don't mean I feel like eating it, I mean I like it and all, but I'm talking more about the concept of tofu. You've heard someone describe tofu by saying, "Oh it really doesn't taste like anything, it takes on the flavor of the dish." That is exactly what happens to me, I tend to take on the flavor of the dish, so to speak.

I'm a happy-go-lucky person, I truly am. I am gregarious, outgoing, love to laugh and have fun, and I think am pretty much what you see is what you get. I am usually upbeat and positive and see the bright side in most situations. I am a glass-is-half-full kind of gal. That being said, I sometimes get all tofu-y and start to take on the flavor of the dish. Husband not really in a good mood? Boss stressed and agitated? Tofu will take some of that on. Friends feeling down? Family in a funk? Good old tofu will have some of that flavor too. This doesn't always happen, thankfully, but when it does I find it disturbing.

Most of the time I can Keep Calm and Carey On. (wink!)  

So what is it?  My time of the month? A bout of insecurity? A pity party? Self-centeredness to the extreme? Full moon? Who knows! All I know is that it kills me a little bit each time it happens and I hate it. BUT, I am getting better at recognizing it and ending it before it goes to far. That's progress, baby.

7 comments:

  1. I like this post, Amy. I think we all are affected by the moods of others that we spend time with, at least to a point. Some people, no matter where they go, they suck the life right out of the room. I try to avoid those who have that kind of negative vibe all the time. You seem to me to be the opposite of that kind of person. I bet you brighten the room and lighten the mood of any place you go. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Daisy! Some people are battery drainers and others are battery chargers. Stick with the chargers, I say!

      Delete
  2. You are nothing like tofu! You are just like delicious sunshine, my dear! xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. You recognize it, that's the important part.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it's impossible not to be affected by the feelings and moods of people you love. Just shows that you're human and empthetic, not a robot with teflon skin. It means you're a sweetheart. But we knew this already. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I try so hard not to let other people's bad moods affect me. I hate it, too. I also hate tofu (the kind you eat :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Interesting way to look at this issue. You have a creative writing style. Looking forward to reading more!

    ReplyDelete